<< Gary's journey is drawing to an end   |   WEBLOG   |   Thanks for all the kindness >>

Finis.

Gary died last night at 9:13pm Tuesday, December 30, 2003. It was peaceful. I told him he could. And he did.

More later. I'm consuming myself in the business of the funeral process and I look forward to seeing all of you soon. I'll post the details when I get them or there will be an obit in the Sun.

I'm OK and we're all going to be just fine. Just a lot sad for a long time.

Love to all--

Marcy

MORE...

Posted by: Marcy on Dec 31, 03 | 7:45 am | Profile

COMMENTS

Hi Marcy,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know your pain. I just lost my mother a few weeks ago to a 3 year bout with a very rare terminal illness. It is difficult to understand at times why these things happen, but rest assured God has a plan for your life. Our family will pray for you and yours. Gary was a great guy that all of us will remember. I still remember our fun days playing TFC online at all hours of the night...

Peace to you and God Bless,

Steve Sprague

Posted by: Steve Sprague on Dec 31, 03 | 8:10 am

Marcy, Gary's RDA family is deeply saddened. We will all miss him, but we will always remember the great fight he put up, and how extraordinary a person he was in how he dealt with his challenge. He is at peace with God now.

Don

Posted by: Don Awalt on Dec 31, 03 | 8:20 am

Marcy

My wife's father is also battling with a rare terminal illness and my family understands what suffering Gary and your family is going thru. It is just his body which has gone, but Gary will always be in our mind. We are praying for you and your family.

Posted by: khond on Dec 31, 03 | 8:37 am

Marcy,
I can't tell you how terribly sorry I am for your loss. I am feelling a great sense of loss myself. I will miss seeing Gary so much, the "hey how's it going" when we where leaving for work at the same time, the talks over the fence on weekends, seeing movement in my yard and looking to see Gary walking with Patrick toward the pier, listening to him explain to Patrick that smashing a worm from the sandbox isn't a great idea, his infectious excitement about Galloween as he set up a horrible accident scene in front of the house (of course Bill had to add his "Hey Gar, you know what you oughta do"). Bill talked to Gary at the beginning of his illness and Gary wanted to make sure that if you had any trouble with things around the house that you could count on Bill to help. Bill assured Gary that he will be there for you. If you need anything just call or bang on the door. We are truly blessed that Gary, and then you, decided to move in across the street . We are forever touched by knowing you two.

Denise and Bill Woutila

Posted by: BillandDenise on Dec 31, 03 | 9:22 am

Marcy,
We love you, Gary, and those beautiful children so much. It broke my heart last night when Gary finally past. I am glad I was there to see him before and after his finally moments. It was wonderful seeing his friend (Dave) there. Gary was my friend as well as my cousin. I will miss and love him forever. You are an extraordinary woman for all you have done. The strength you showed last night was amazing. Gary was/is very lucky to have you by his side. If you need anything, anytime, don't hesitate to call me (410 4672279 / 4435274628). I'll be there! We are family! Family does for each other. I love you, Libby, and Patrick so much. Remember Orbie is with him now.

Dana

Posted by: dana on Dec 31, 03 | 9:51 am

Sorry to here about your loss. My faimily and I are praying for you and the kids.

Todd

Posted by: snyder on Dec 31, 03 | 1:33 pm

HI MARCY..
I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT, BUT YOU ARE A VERY BRAVE WOMAN TO GO THROUGH THIS ORDEAL WITH GARY BEING SICK. I ONLY MET GARY A FEW TIMES, BUT I KNOWN YOU SINCE I WAS LITTLE. KELLY CALLED ME TODAY AND TOLD ME THE NEWS AND HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SITE. I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL. GARY GOT TO LIVE THE LIFE HE DREAM OF HAVING.. A WONDERFUL WIFE WHO LOVES HIM DEARLY AND GIVING BIRTH TO 2 BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, GARY WENT TO HEAVEN HAPPY AND PAIN FREE. FOR MANY YEARS TO COME HE WILL BE WATCHING OVER YOU, PATRICK AND LIBBY. THE HARDEST PART WILL BE WHEN PATRICK AND LIBBY GROWS UP GRADUATING FROM SCHOOL AND GETTING MARRY.. ETC... BUT IMPORTANTLY THAT THEY WOULD BE REMINDED EVERYDAY THAT THEIR DADDY LOVES THEM WITH ALL HIS HEARTS AND THE HE WILL NEVER FORGET THEM.

LOVE YOU VERY MUCH

KRISTEN

Posted by: KRISTEN on Dec 31, 03 | 2:10 pm

Hi Beautiful Lady,
What could I possibly say. You and Gary will forever be an extrodinary force that will continue to shape and influence those you have touched and will continue to touch. The universe cannot be easily purged of such a creative and compassionate energy that you two have created and that will continue in the lives of your children. I would be unbelievably honored to wear Gary's name or picture at this year's 60 mile walk for Breast Cancer. You have always supported my family in this cause and I will be blessed this year to carry his memory and walk in his name too. Another Angel to keep me moving and motivated. We must stop cancer! God bless you and though you were touched by this horrible illness, your spirits never had cancer!

Posted by: ali kay on Dec 31, 03 | 2:23 pm

We're very sorry to hear about Gary's passing. We knew him back in high school and have been thinking a lot the past few days about the fun times we had. We really wanted to get together again but at least we got to trade a few emails recently. We're glad he's not in any pain any more. He was a great guy and our prayers are with you and the kids.

Andy and Eileen P.

Posted by: Andy P. on Dec 31, 03 | 2:26 pm

We are so very sorry for your loss. Gary was a tremendous guy and will be deeply missed. He is at peace now. Your strength through this has been amazing... You and yours are in our prayers and thoughts.

James and Lisa Owens

Posted by: James Owens on Dec 31, 03 | 3:50 pm

Marcy,

After having worked with Gary on his last RDA project, I will always remember his extraordinary personality, his openness, kindness and his tremendous sense of humor. And my entire family will never forget his heroic struggle, and your loving support of him, and the unimaginable courage shown by both of you. This journal impacted our lives forever. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Alex Reyzin and family

Posted by: Alex Reyzin on Jan 01, 04 | 12:39 pm

Gary, you, and your children have touched many lives and will all continue to do so. Always know that you can call any time for any thing, now or ten years from now. We will always be here for you and your family. All of our family sends their prayers.

The Zarubaiko and Yoos families

Posted by: K. Zarubaiko on Jan 01, 04 | 5:41 pm

Although I haven't seen Gary in over 15 years, I will remember him fondly. We shared some fun times as teenagers. Gary's quick wit always made me laugh, that is what I remember most. Marcy, I don't know you, but you have shown a tremendous amount of courage and strength. May God bless you Marcy and kids.

Posted by: markperry on Jan 03, 04 | 8:11 am

From Jerry Blair, a high school friend...

Dear John,
Thanks for the news. My deepest sympathies go out to Gary's Family and I am
sorry that I could not have been there. Gary was always a positive happy
guy and I will always have fond memories of our time together playing
football at Loyola. Please send my best to his family.
Jerome G Blair Jr
www.sailbraveheart.com
www.sailsojourn.com
PO Box 1767 St John VI 00831
340-998-1878

Posted by: John B on Jan 08, 04 | 10:11 am

From Jerry Blair, a high school friend...

Dear John,
Thanks for the news. My deepest sympathies go out to Gary's Family and I am
sorry that I could not have been there. Gary was always a positive happy
guy and I will always have fond memories of our time together playing
football at Loyola. Please send my best to his family.
Jerome G Blair Jr
www.sailbraveheart.com
www.sailsojourn.com
PO Box 1767 St John VI 00831
340-998-1878

Posted by: John B on Jan 08, 04 | 10:11 am

Marcy,
Having been away when you lost Gary, I was unable to attend the funeral. I am sorry for your loss and hope time will help ease your pain. I have fond memories of Gary from LHS and St. Pius. He gave me a great gift in that he made me laugh. I am sure he gave you the same gift over the years. Hopefully, soon, you can feel like laughing again.

My best,
Joe Farrell

Posted by: LHS Farrell on Jan 18, 04 | 9:46 pm

I have been out of the LHS loop for some time and news, even in this age, at times travels slow. I just learned of Gary's death minutes ago and found his Blog almost instantly to try and find answers for questions that have none. I know my condolences are months late and behind my fellow classmates listed above my entry, but hopefully their meaning and sincerity is not lost with their timing. Gary and I played the same position on our football team at Loyola. I have not seen Gary since those days many years ago, but my image of him is still vivid. He was an enthusiastic teammate with the quickest of smiles and a "don't quit" attitude. It seems he kept those wonderful traits to the end. God Bless! My deepest sympathies go out to Marcy, your children and the Galloway family.

Sincerely,
John Diehl

Posted by: John Diehl on Sep 08, 04 | 12:57 pm

Notify me when someone replies to this post?

Powered by pMachine